E&D Strategies and Policies
Metanoia Institute Statement on Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
Metanoia Institute is committed to the development of a fair and inclusive community. We stand against prejudice, discrimination and all forms of stereotyping. As an Institution, we seek to recognise, value, promote and celebrate diversity. We understand that equality and equity can be different concepts. We accept the moral responsibility to be an inclusive, just, community.
Our processes to achieve this:
The Board of Trustees and Executive Board have responsibility for ensuring that Metanoia Institute implements policy for equality, diversity and inclusion and operates within the legal framework for equality. The Board of Trustees, Executive Board and Academic Board will be informed by the Metanoia Institute Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee. This committee has responsibility for reporting, developing policies and processes, receiving and monitoring statistics, and informing the wider community.
The work of the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee:
The Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee acknowledges that it is a journey towards achieving our ambition; it is not enough to simply state that we are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. On this journey we commit to openness and vigilance, and to encouraging conversations to help inform us where change is required. The Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee represents voices and views across all sections of the Institute.
Metanoia Institute recognises that there are particular challenges for particular groups. We also acknowledge that we will not always get everything right – we are all still learning and we shall continue to develop. We are committed to this journey as a community.
We shall seek to proactively advance equality and inclusive practice in all that we do. Equity, diversity and inclusion must run through our staff and student recruitment processes, our teaching, our research activity, our community services and our physical buildings.
Metanoia Institute stands against all forms of racism, including antisemitism, and has adopted the IHRA definition:
Antisemitism is a certain perception of Jews, which may be expressed as hatred toward Jews. Rhetorical and physical manifestations of antisemitism are directed toward Jewish or non-Jewish individuals and/or their property, toward Jewish community institutions and religious facilities.
The responsibility of all in our community:
In addition, each member of Metanoia Institute is responsible for preventing unfair discrimination or harassment or victimisation which it is within their control to prevent, and must challenge or report such inappropriate behaviour when it occurs.
Updated July 2021
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at Metanoia Institute: Our aims
We are committed to building an organisational culture and tradition that celebrates diversity. We strive for a culture and community that values and promotes fairness, openness and inclusivity, where differences are celebrated, engagement is apparent, and the contributions of all are valued and respected.
We aim to provide an environment free from discrimination, bullying, harassment and victimisation, where all members of our community are treated with respect and dignity and where there is equality of opportunity for all regardless of disability, status, race, ethnic or national origin, religion, gender (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, social class, age, political affiliation, union activity or non- relevant criminal conviction.
In order to achieve the above and within a context of respecting difference and celebrating diversity, we are committed to:
- Non-defensively exploring and monitoring our working practices, strategies, and policies. We shall do this as a means of identifying and amending the ways in which we inevitably reflect oppressions and discriminations inherent in society.
- Actively encouraging full contribution, representation and access to our services, at all levels and in all contexts.
- Creating an inclusive environment that promotes awareness, cultural competence and integration of difference by investing in the training and development of staff; by treating everyone fairly and equitably; by combating harassment and discrimination; by encouraging an honest and open culture which values the differences between us all.
- Opposing all forms of discrimination, providing an environment free of stereotyped and oppressive beliefs, attitudes and practices and removing unfair, discriminatory and oppressive practices in all contexts and at all levels within the organisation.
- Fostering a culture where staff and students have the confidence to challenge acts and behaviours which contravene Metanoia Institute’s policies/Code of Ethics, professional body Code of Ethics, or UK law.
EDI Statements/ Events