Thank you for your interest in the Doctorate in Psychotherapy by Public Works (DPsych).
Please find below some further information about the programme.
If you would like to apply for a place on the programme, please note that the following
1. You are required to have an individual briefing session (either face-to-face or by telephone) with a member of the Metanoia Institute DPsych team before completing your application for the programme. The team member will discuss the nature of the programme with you and whether it is likely to be an appropriate programme for you. This is a programme for individuals with substantial professional experience at a senior level who, normally, also hold a Masters degree in psychotherapy or counselling.
2. You may then submit your application to the Programme. In completing your application, you must submit the following:
a. A completed application form
b. Two references, completed by your referees and sent back directly to me at Metanoia
c. A current CV
d. A fee of £265 for an initial evaluation of your work
e. A Personal Statement (750-1000 words) which addresses the points outlined below:
3. The Personal Statement is a key element in your application and will form the basis of whether or not you are invited to interview. Applications which do not cover the following points will be rejected:
- An evaluation of your professional standing in your organisation and/or professional field (for example, an indication of posts of responsibility held, major projects undertaken, peer reviewed publications)
- An example of a public work you intend to submit
- A summary of the public work you intend to submit
- A justification for the relevance of your public work to your organisation and/or professional field
- An indication of your understanding of research and development methodologies which may be appropriate to your public work.
4. Your application will be evaluated by the DPsych programme team. If it is deemed acceptable at
this stage, you will be invited to attend an interview.
5. At the interview, your public works and the context statement you will be required to write will be
6. Following the interview, you will be notified whether or not your application has been accepted.
7. Once accepted you will be allocated an Academic Adviser and will submit within 2 months a 5,000 word Justification evidencing the grounds for your claim to Doctoral Status.
8. If the justification is deemed to provide a clear preliminary case for the Doctorate in
Psychotherapy by Public Works you will then be enrolled on the programme and with Middlesex
9. The degree can be awarded after a minimum of 2 semesters.